In 2016, Bose launched its first consumer product under the BOSEbuild Brand. The BOSEbuild Speaker Cube is a build-it-yourself Bluetooth Speaker that engages kids through an iOS app on a journey from magnets to music. This consumer product enables a child, age 8 and up, to learn how a speaker and sound works and results in them building a rugged, high-quality speaker.
In addition to this consumer product, we have developed a version of this that can be used to develop a richer, mentored program that can go deeper into the concepts and encourage more hands-on experimentation and learning.
It can be used as a platform to teach the science of magnetism, electromagnetism, waves, sound, music and motion. This is enhanced through additional sensors included here to enable kids to learn the following:
- What is sound?
- How does a magnet and coil of wire work to make sound?
- Design a speaker from a single sheet of paper, cardboard, or other craft materials
- Sensors to explore different inputs from their world:
- Sensors included here are: Magnetism, Gravity, & Distance
- Using these sensors, kids can develop their own game or musical instrument